Sunday, October 2, 2011

Reading List: Rudolf Laban, The Dancer of the Crystal


After I completed my GL-CMA program, I started reading Rudolf Laban, The Dancer of the Crystal by Evelyn Doerr. This is a very detailed biography of Laban's life and work. His life was absolutely incredible. Getting to know the man behind the movement theory I now affiliate myself with was so enlightening and makes me fills me with excitement knowing that I am now part of his lineage.

The detail that Doerr goes into with each stage of his life was so rich. The overarching theme from his life was a man with brilliance that was truly before his time. His aspirations and ideas seem advanced and ambitious even for today's standards. However, with this brilliance also brought a lot of instability. Periods of reaching great heights only to fall into periods of failure and struggle again. 

The most important lesson I could take from Laban's life, especially as I venture into this field of movement education, coaching, analysis, etc., is that even if I do stumble, fall, or fail from time to time, I mustn't stop pursing this work that is my passion. 

I would like to close with a profound concept from the book that I carry with me and want to share as a teacher:

Knowledge of the laws of dance is the prerequisite for becoming 
"a creator of culture" 
oneself and for creating symbols of dance that bring 
"comprehensive cultural benefits." 
"Dance oriented creation" is, in context,
 not only desire and art but also "serious cultural work." (pg. 61)




No comments:

Post a Comment